Wednesday, August 17, 2011

12 Months of the Year...365 Days of Disney

One of the biggest questions, and first hurdles of planning a trip to Disney, is when to go?  Frankly, I don't think there is a bad time to go.  It just depends on your family's schedule.  Both of my parents are teachers, so we always "had" to go in the summer.

Now I love the summer in Disney!  It's hot and there are a lot people to "people watch"!  I have been in June and July and I think that June is a less crowded than July and less rainy.  There are many schools that are not out yet in early June so we have found the first two weeks of June to be less crowded than the rest of the summer.  The weather during the summer is hot with a 80% chance of afternoon thunderstorms.  Don't like that deter you.  They last about 15 minutes and then it's sunny again!

Will the lines be long?  Yes and no.  The popular rides will be busy.  Be prepared to wait 40+ minutes for those rides.  But you can easily find rides that will have 10 - 15 minute ride.

While the summer is busy, it isn't the busiest season!  I would not recommend going the week before Christmas and the week in between Christmas and New Years.  I was in Disney the day after New Years a couple of years ago and I was shocked at the length of the lines.  I'm talking like 3 hours for The Haunted Mansion!  Easter is also another super busy holiday.

But during the off times of the year, Walt Disney World does a great job at hosting some great events to entice you attend.  In the Spring, EPCOT hosts the Flower and Garden Show.  It is absolutely beautiful.  EPCOT plays home to many character topiaries.  The weather is warming up and sometimes can already get into the high 80s, low 90s, but the rain is not bad yet.


In the Fall, especially around Halloween, Disney has Mickey Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.  This is where Magic Kingdom closes early and for a special-priced ticket, you can go in and Trick-Or-Treat with the characters as well as ride the rides.  The weather during the Fall is great.  Not as hot, but the nights are still warm.

Besides the summer, I personally love the Christmas season.  I've found the week after Thanksgiving, first week of December to be a great time to go.  The decorations are up, but the crowds are in a lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The weather is descent.  Most of the times I've been it has been in the mid 70s and 60s at night (which is actually chilly!) I have been 3 years in a row now to view the Christmas decorations and I don't think I can get in the Christmas Spirit without some Disney!


I think it is sometimes about your perspective.  If you go into Disney knowing that you will have to wait, it's not that bad.  If you go in thinking that you are going to get on every ride, then be prepared to be disappointed.

But anytime you pick, it will be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment